Monday, June 02, 2008

The nymphs

Here's the completed Naiad (except for binding - I hate doing the dull bits). I like the way the bit with the wavy horizontal quilting looks much lighter - it is meant to represent looking through water.
And here is her cousin, the Dryad (wood nymph). Same method of construction with organza on top, but she is cut from a monoprinted cotton piece I did recently. I've used 3 different variegated cottons to quilt this one, and each segment has a slightly different pattern. I really enjoy quilting like this, as I am not a superb free motion quilter.
Here's the reverse - I like the backs of these too.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

They are beautiful!

Webfrau said...

Brilliant Shirley. I was thinking how watery it looked before I read your comment. Now it won't take long to bind them so don't leave them languishing in a pile somewhere! :)

Unknown said...

I love Henri Matisse and his cut outs. This rendition of Blue Nude is wonderful! I really like the quilting with this one!

Françoise said...

Beautiful! You'll have to finish this!
(btw, your new haircut looks great!)

Anne Wigfull said...

Fantastic! Send them both to me and I'll bind them for you- though I may forget to return them :¬}

Maureen said...

I like these, like the backs as well. Would love to see a nymph made on the back fabric, really watery.

Veronica said...

WOW!

Val said...

Superb! Just love the effect you've got!

sharon young said...

What lovely sensitive pieces, Shirley, I love the quilting that represents the water. I particularly like the colouring of the second one.