Sunday, December 17, 2006

Preserved for posterity

Feast your jaded almost-Christmas eyes on these scenes, as they may never be repeated. Hard to believe, but these are "after" shots. My second bedroom is also my stock room. And store room. And spare bedroom. Usually anyone who needs to overflow from the guest room only stays with me for one night. But this time it's different. My daughter Sophie and her partner Erlo and my son Cass will be coming down on Wednesday for 8 days. Hooray! Last Christmas I was all alone. For the first time in my life, I had no family around me at Christmas. I hadn't long moved here and I was still busy getting organised, so I really didn't mind though it felt strange, as usually other family members came to us at Christmas. But that was before I was so far away.
The usual complete mess in the stock room had to be sorted. Be thankful there are no "before" shots - you can see how much stuff is crammed into this room! This is a small house, originally a 4 room stone cottage, and it's over 100 years old. Cass will be sleeping here, and while boys (ok, he's 25 but still a boy to me) don't care too much about their surroundings (Cass slept for a while as a teenager in a converted woodshed at the back of the carport, because it was nice and dark and he could sleep in), the room was long overdue for a clean and sort. All the junk I've sorted out is going into the skip I'm having delivered tomorrow (a big metal bin for rubbish, for those unfamiliar with the term, that's dropped off by a truck and collected when you've filled it - this one holds 7.5 cubic metres of waste, and I have it for 10 days) and Cass has offered to help fill it with garden waste and the like, which I have a lot of on the property. I've also been ruthless in my bedroom, and the living room too. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice when kids come home for Christmas and are able to stay long enough for a real visit!

Anonymous said...

Wow you are working very hard! I love the quilt on the bed. I can't wait to have both of my sons home for the holidays.

Anonymous said...

A girl after my own heart, I have been posponing my tidying up blitz, but will have to do it soon, it's amazing what a good motivator a few visitors can be! I hate throwing stuff out because I just KNOW I will need it the following week! But actually, it is a very satisfying and liberating feeling when you do get round to it!
Would it be viable to source yarn from out of New Zealand? would you like me to try and source a supplier here for you?

Diane Doran said...

Those shots look eerily like some parts of my basement (except we have no windows there). I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas together.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Suzi, but in a country with 10 times more sheep than people (no, reallly!)I feel I should be able to get supplies here. I'm off to see another mill today when I go north to collect my children for Christmas.