Sunday, February 19, 2006

Fusing fractals - Dragon's Teeth











I love fractals, and here's one that particularly appealed to me. If you're not familair with fractals, they're images generated by mathematical equations. Who knew at school that maths could be so beautiful? You can make them yourself - there are a number of free fractal generators that you can download. I decided to play with this, though I couldn't hope to reproduce the perfect curves or the exquisite luminous colouring, so I opted for an "interpretation" using simplified tracings of the shapes, with less contrast. I used hand dyes for the "teeth" and a commercial print to represent the complex centre area. Here's my fused result. Problem is, I have no idea what to do with it now.

7 comments:

Webfrau said...

What fun. Now you need the rest of the dragon!

NZBC said...

cool Shirley - I wonder what you can do with this - brilliant colours

Grangry said...

That is a really nice interpretation!

Unknown said...

this is so cool!! I wish I could see it in person...is it fused to backround fabric yet??? It would be so neat to have it hang free kind of like a kite???I am not sure that is a clear picture...anyway I just love it!!! Ginger

Shirley Goodwin said...

It is fused, Ginger, though I wish now I'd chosen a higher contrast background. I used this one as it has subtle colour change. Unfortunately, it's not a great photo and doesn't show very well. The little coloured "teeth" are quite fiddly (this is only an A4 size piece).

artmixter said...

Stitch, stitch, and more stitch, I suspect. This is lovely, Shirley.

Elle said...

Wow. Very cool! Looking forward to its progress!